Using the Prodinner Framework but without Awesome

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Hello,

I'm pretty new to ASP.NET MVC and I've been looking at this project as it looks to be more suited to a professional application than the application samples on ASP.NET Tutorials. I believe I understand a lot of how this is working but theres one question I have.

Is there a way that you can display for example a list of users without using the Awesome MVC way. What i'm looking for is just a basic way of showing the users in a list so that I can understand everyway that the models are passed around. I just can't seem to figure it out as usually you would send the List over in the Index method of the controller however this method is actually in the Crudere Class. I don't want to chaneg this for all controllers which is why I haven't just implemented it within that class. Or should I implement with in that class?

Also is there a way that you can create the database from the models instead of having to run the sql file. I've tried implementing this but it doesn't seem to be creating the database at all.

I hope that what im asking for is explained well enough above. Any help is appreciated?

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

in here the awesome helpers are getting the data (the list) via ajax,

so all the Index action is doing is return View();

of course you can do it as you want you just return View(list) and in your view do a foreach, loop through it and generate the html for each item

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for th update I thought I could do that but doesn't that mean I'm changing this for every one of the controllers that I have that implements Crudere? I didn't know whether this could be done from the Main controller eg UserController but Im guessing it can't?

Also is there any help on how to get it so that it is creating the database?

Many Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM

you could override the Index method, or not inherit from Crudere

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Brill thanks I've just figured out how I can override the Index method from the Constructor and still have all the mappings in place I must have been doing wrong many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I must say that there aren't enough examples like this one out there. Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

to override it you make it virtual in the base class

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM
@benlunt,
              please share the details of the code changes that you made for 'Using the Prodinner Framework but without Awesome'. I am also interested to learn the same .
Jul 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM
without awesome it won't be awesome anymore :)
but there is the nerdinner I think and mvc music store

for prodinner think you would have to write code for all of the stuff that awesome components are used for,
displaying a list with edit and delete buttons is doable but other stuff like showing a edit/create popup and than poping up a pick element from the list with search and crud functionality in it would require quite a lot of coding I think